9/29/2009

Playing With Type

Nothing beats the feeling of an impulse purchase of a good-looking book. I fell victim recently to Playful Type - a book dedicated to having fun with type. Before coming to Leeds Uni, it never really dawned on me that there's more to typography than just picking a typeface on Illustrator that looked 'nice'. Thankfully I was mistaken.


I realize that this isn't a new and unique idea of carving letters out of apples or what have you but I've gone through this book many, many times and given you a small selection of the best. This was quite difficult because there isn't a minger in the pack; each beautiful in their own way.


Personally, this is the most bewitching type design I have ever seen. It draws me in every time. Made using his own fingerprints, Jonathon Lowman used type to convey an idea of who he is and what type is to him.









I'm going through an experimentation with type at the moment, using fried eggs and piercing the yoke at different angles to create phrases. Should hopefully be posting that up soon.



Buy Playful Type here.
Or if you want to save some pennies then here.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of experimenting typography with egg yolk makes me feel a little queasy.. waste of food too Andy Andy Andy.
    Who's the artist that created that amazing piece with the tree roots and deer/stag stood underneath...?

    ReplyDelete