8/05/2009

Patrick Hughes


One of my favourite artists. His work may not look dazzling or rival the Mona Lisa, but what he does offer is an alternate method of viewing art - Reverspective. In essence, he creates a sculpted painting. Using the technique of perspective, his paintings take on a life of their own.

I was lucky enough to see this exhibit in Birmingham a few years ago and loved the fact that an optical illusion was the foundation of all his pieces. It also made for interesting viewing, as quite a few people collided into each-other trying to see the perspectives from different, often opposing, directions.




This influenced me for my submission for the D&AD 2009 competition, where I played on perspective to promote a Lloyds TSB student account.

www.patrickhughes.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. This guy is awesome - i first stumbled upon his work at the British Library completely by accident when wondering down a corridor. I hadnt noticed the painting until I was perfectly in the middle. It completely freaked me out until I moved to the side enough for the illusion to break and me to realise how it worked. Amaying stuff!

    His eyes must be buggered by the time hes finished...

    ReplyDelete